Tuesday, March 20, 2012

To Run or Not to Run

Last week I made it to 9 miles, and I did a couple of follow up runs. It felt pretty good. Now, though, I have a sore spot on my leg. I haven't run in about 3 days, and my leg seems to be feeling a little better. With only 5 days  (including today) till my half marathon, I don't know if I should get in some more practice runs, try to run a 10 miler, or just keep off of my leg altogether and read Game of Thrones....

I don't really know which I should do. I feel like running. I want to run so bad my legs are itching for it. BUT, I don't want to run and hurt my leg and not be able to run the half marathon. Maybe I'll just go for a walk or something a little less strenuous. My Hal Higdon training schedule says that a few days before a race, you shouldn't do any activity to be well rested for the race, but have I gone too long? Will I cause an injury because I haven't run consistently these last two weeks??

This is when I wish I still had a personal trainer that I loved (and completely trusted!) like I did back in Spokane. I could ask her what to do, and she would give me some honest feedback - and would probably have helped prevent the injury in the first place. I have been researching injury prevention stuff and it seems like one of the best things to do is to do some strength training and build core muscles. I'm going to do that after the half marathon: start taking some weight lifting classes. But for now, I'm kind of out of luck. I hope this injury doesn't cause problems!!

No comments:

Post a Comment