Thursday, March 29, 2012

Adult Conversations

Today was a fun day! I met up with my meet-up group for a play date at 10am. I don't know why, but being anywhere by 10am, let alone being dressed and presentable, seems to be a huge challenge for me. I mean, I go to the gym in the mornings, but I usually just pull my hair back into a pony tail, throw on a headband, brush my teeth, and put on my gym clothes. Not too sexy, but it gets the job done. I very rarely actually have occasion to wash and dry my hair. And God forbid I actually use a straight iron or a curling iron on it!! Or that any of that occurs before Noon. Anyway, long story short, it took me forever to get ready this morning. And to get Thing 1 and Thing 2 ready. Especially when D is screaming, "I don't want spiky hair!" and P is trying to take her clothes off. Seriously - that girl LOVES to just run around with no clothes on.

We did get on the road only about 5 minutes after I planned on leaving, so I thought I was doing stellar. Until I realized I didn't have coffee this morning. So, I treated myself to Starbucks. I used to order a Grande Nonfat Peppermint White Mocha (everyday back in Spokane). But those are like a bajillion Weight Watchers points, and on a week when I feel really motivated to lose (and know that my Mom is bringing a birthday cake with her on Saturday!), I chose my not so exciting stand-in: a grande skinny french vanilla latte. I know I should probably say, "It's low-calorie and still coffee and still delicious!" but every time I order it, I am just a *tad* bit sad that I'm not getting my favorite Starbucks drink. But I drink it all the same. And it is pretty good. Better than my normal cup of drip anyway! After my stop at the Bucks, our next stop was our play date.

Every time I meet up with these ladies, I just feel good for the rest of the day. I really miss interacting with other people, and comisserating about our mommy woes. The lady's house we were at today was just gorgeous. And it was really clean. Totally jealous! My house generally looks messy, but since I started putting in some extra work-from-home hours this week, it just looks ridiculous. I finally did a load of dishes this afternoon, but that was only because we had no more clean sippy cups or forks. Details! The lady's house was  also a great place for a play date as it had a bonus room area where all the toys were set up. I think that's one of the things I miss most about our house back in Spokane - the kids' play area nook. I hate having all of their toys spread all over the "open living" living room we have.

My kids got some serious play time in too. D made a friend and played trains and cars with him, and P discovered that they have the SAME cookie set that we do, and was just flabbergasted by that. And that's primarily what she played with. And she ignored the other kids for the most part. But that's cool because she's still only 1 and parallel play is still the way to go at that age. And I was able to chat with the ladies there and use my full vocabulary and not just, "No!" and "Be nice to your brother/sister - he/she is the only one you've got!" and "Do you need a diaper change/to go to the bathroom?" Oh, the joys and sweet, sweet bliss of adult conversation!

D and P both came home and crashed (after a quick trip to Wal-Mart and lunch), and I got in almost 4 hours of work. I still probably have 5-6 hours worth of grant writing to do before I can hit "submit" for them, so it felt good to get a solid 4 hours in this afternoon. After the kids go to bed, I'll be doing another couple of hours.

Anyway, here is my food for the day, minus my snacks: my latte and a piece of cinnamon raisin bread.

Breakfast:
a slice of bread with a teaspoon of butter, 3 turkey sausages, and lots of salsa to dip by sausage in. Only way it could have been better is if it would have been smothered in maple syrup....next time!

Lunch: a leftover taquito, some yummy sauce, and a banana. 


Supper: I had about 1/3 of this 7 layer dip with 2 servings of tortilla chips. I had intended to use sliced veggies for my dippers, but the chips were just SO good! Dip is one can of refried beans on bottom layer, 10 ounces of fat free sour cream mixed with 1 packet of taco seasoning for next layer, 1 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese, salsa, lettuce, and tomatoes. I added onion after the fact because my husband can't stand onion in his food. Even if you cut it really small, he finds it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment