Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The McKinney Move

We moved! It was stressful and crazy and full of eating out and hot, sweaty days, but we did it. We moved from Rowlett, TX to McKinney, TX. And I absolutely LOVE it!! Rowlett was a nice small town, but I absolutely without a doubt love McKinney 100% more. Our community is tucked back and not in the center of "town" where it would be crazy busy, but it is close enough to everything that it is just a very short drive away. We're actually really close to Allen, which is nice because that is where my husband works. It's only about a 10-15 minute drive for him now. He's been home pretty much every night by 6:30pm at the latest. That's almost a 1.5 hour difference from when he was getting home. And that makes an INCREDIBLE difference.

Our community has a community pool with a splash pad and a play ground. We are still waiting on access keys from the owner of the house, so we haven't been yet - but it looks super nice. I already bought the kids some little Puddle Jumper floatie/life jackets so that as soon as we get the keys we can go. My kids love to swim, and the pool is only two blocks away from us. It's going to be a perfect beat-the-Texas-heat place. The little play ground has a big kid area and a little kid area. I honestly have only seen one or two families playing on it, so I guess my kids will have the run of the place.

Since we moved into a higher rent house, we had to cut a few things out of our lives. I had already cancelled my gym membership, so I decided to see if I can forgo joining a gym and just exercise outside for a little while. I discovered a running/walking trail about half a mile away, and have run on that twice now. There are a lot of people that run on it, so it looks like it is well populated (which always makes me feel safer). I've never really run outside consistently before, so this will be something new for me. The only downside is that I have to get up at 5:30am to go run because otherwise it's too hot out there. It's going to take a while to get back to getting up that early!

It has been a little crazy around here with cleaning out the Rowlett house, steam cleaning the carpets, getting boxes unpacked here in McKinney, and trying to meet new friends here in the McKinney area. I joined another meetup of moms in the McKinney area and that has been a huge help in meeting new people (the ladies are amazing, really) and getting the kids out of the house. It's been great, but keeping up with a total of three meetup groups activities (still meeting up with my original mom's group and my running group as well) while moving in has left me a little exhausted! We are officially out of the Rowlett house though - as of Sunday - so now we can just focus on the McKinney house. And get all of those boxes unpacked!! Life will feel so, so much more relaxed when the house is unpacked, the garage cleaned up, and we put pictures on the walls. I can't wait till that day!

1 comment:

  1. I heart downtown McKinney! We hung at Landen's just this last weekend and had dinner at Square Burger! Have fun unpacking, pretty much the worst part of moving, ha!

    ReplyDelete