Thursday, June 7, 2012

I love my husband!

Yesterday, I said my children were wonderful (and they still are), but today, I just want to talk about my husband. We've been together since I was 18 and he was 19. We met at a party at my sister's house back in Spokane. At the time, I was in a really bad relationship that had become severely toxic and unsafe. When I met Derek, though, I could tell that he was respectful to women and I could tell right away that I liked him. I left my then-boyfriend, moved back to Spokane from Seattle and started hanging out more with my sister and her friends - including Derek.

After about three months of being friends, we started dating and eventually in January of 2001, became solid boyfriend-girlfriend. Yes my friends - that was 11.5 years ago. We moved pretty quick - in May of 2001, I got my own place and spent approximately 3 nights by myself before Derek officially moved in. By November 2001, we were engaged and in August 2002, we got married. This August, we'll be married for a solid decade. In that time, we've definitely grown up quite a bit. I mean - we were 18/19 when we started dating and 20/21 when we got married. We were babies! When I hear about people now getting married that young, I cringe and think - but they're SO young! Then I remember that's how young we were, and it makes me just shake my head. Usually when people get married so young, the relationship doesn't last. I have to say, though, Derek and I are still going strong.

We've had our share of ups and downs, but I think the most important thing is that we enjoy each other and love each other. And we respect each other. He has been my rock and my biggest supporter for so many things - from pursuing my bachelors degree, my masters degree, to losing weight, being there for me when I re-gained it, through cross-country moves, through our extended families all leaving Spokane, the birth of two kids...he's been there through it all. Loving me unconditionally (even when I had crazy pregnancy hormones that made me a complete mess!). I hope I have been as accepting and loving as he has.

I just wanted to post about my amazing husband who has sacrificed so much so that we can have the life we do today. He works a full time job, and then comes home and does freelance work (28 hours a month), and still finds time to make me happy by completely a lengthy honey-do list and playing with the kids. I don't know if I say it enough, but I truly am appreciative of him providing for us and being an amazing husband and father. Love that man!

No comments:

Post a Comment