Monday, June 4, 2012

Goodbye Lady of America

I've been checking things off my to-do list since I got up this morning at 6:45am. I have so much to do in the next couple of days, that it's a little overwhelming! But, gauging from my progress today, I'd say that I have it in me to get a lot done :) I packed up a ton of boxes already, and am very much ready for the big move. I packed up my scale yesterday, and I'm hoping that wasn't a bad move just because I tend to over-eat when my scale is not there to keep me in check.

I also cancelled my gym membership today. I've been going to Lady of America in Rockwall, but there isn't one near McKinney, so I was able to cancel my membership. However, they are charging me 20% of my remaining contract fees to cancel - even though when I signed up the girl who took my money/did my contract assured me that there would be no cancellation fees if I moved 25 miles from the nearest gym (the guy on the phone this morning said my house was 30 miles from the closest one). I am feeling pretty cheated (it's close to $150!) , but the rep on the phone was adamant that I'd have to pay. When I did some research on the place online, basically everyone said that they are HORRIBLE to work with and people have had all sorts of problems cancelling their memberships there. It makes me a little sad because I've been going there for six months now, and I (for the most part) really liked it. It makes me sad to leave with such a bad experience.

But on that same note, I am now looking for a new gym! This time I plan to look at more than just one gym and to get multiple quotes and then before I sign any contracts to use the gym's "free pass" that most gyms offer for the first week to see if you like the gym. The YMCA and Lifetime Fitness sound really cool, but I know they will be around $70 - $75 a month. I'd like to keep it around $50 - $65, so I'm really going to have to search for what I can afford. Both the YMCA and Lifetime Fitness, though, have other perks for being a member (I know the Y's swim lessons and other kid-related classes are cheaper for members) so I need to consider that as well. Guess I'll add that to my to-do list as well.

Now I have to go do some work. Sometimes it is SOOOO hard to motivate yourself to work when you work from home. I have a lot of work to do, before the month is over (2 grants to write and a big report), but getting in the work mindset can sometimes be so very rough. Especially when I want to use my 2-3 hours when Piper naps to work when I really want to be relaxing and enjoying a little alone time (since Danny usually takes P's naptime as a rest time). It's hard being a work-from-home mom!

2 comments:

  1. I go to LOA in Sachse, love it! I'm so sorry they did that to you, jerks. ugh. Hope you find something you like in Mckinney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one they were trying to get me to go to. That would have been a drive from McKinney!! I really do like LOA other than this experience. My kids loved the main child care lady and I'll miss all the class instructors.

      Delete