Sunday, May 5, 2013

Vineyard 5k Recap

Yesterday was the Vineyard 5k out in Grapevine, TX. I carpooled with some friends and after a few twists and turns through the construction on 121, we made our way to Delaney Vineyards where the race was held. The Delaney Vineyards was pretty interesting because it was a small little vineyard right in town. It was neat to see the bustling suburbs juxtaposed with the casual atmosphere of the vineyard. It was a peaceful little get-away from everyday life!

The cool thing bout this race is that post-race, you get to sample various wines produced from the vineyard. Running and wine: a fantastic combination! The race itself was a pretty hilly race. And I was not expecting that! It was pretty brutal! I have been working more and more hill workouts in, but this course took my breath away. At the Big D 5k I participated in a few weeks ago, I was able to get my time down to 27:40. I was so happy with that time because my goal had been to break 30 minutes. I went into this (unknowingly) hilly run with the hope of getting my time down to 27:00. I knew it was a lofty goal, especially after the first hill!! My friends and I had been told that the last mile or so had decent downhills. So as the mile markers ticked off, I kept telling myself that a big downhill was coming. Just over the next hill, it was all downhill the rest of the way. I must have passed three hills telling myself this. And after that, my legs and lungs were just toast. I had started out fast (rookie mistake, I know) and I think my lungs were struggling to regulate my breath after that first mile. I did do a 9 minute mile for my first mile, and then I think I had like a 9:40, 9:30, and a pretty quick .1 mile (there was wine beckoning!). Overall, I finished in 29:21 and ranked 20th in my age group. Even though it was not a PR, I was still happy to have a sub-30 5k on such a hilly course.

The wine afterwards was pretty tasty. Although, I wish it would have been a half cup of wine rather than a third of a Dixie cups worth. Or that they would have poured a few tasters at once for each person rather than having to jump back in the line afterwards to get another. I had a muscat that was delicious and a blush that was so-so.

The company that puts on the race was having some technical difficulties and we didn't get the results until late today. That meant that no awards were given at the race. I obviously didn't qualify for an ae group award, but two of my friends won first place for their age groups. Would've been nice to be able to clap and cheer for them.

Overall, this race was okay. Will I do it next year? Probably not. Did I have fun with my friends? Absolutely! And that is what counts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment